The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is one of the nation’s premier civil rights/human relations organizations. ADL fights anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals, and protects civil rights for all. ADL’s Robert B. Sturm Mountain States Leadership Fellows Program was created to involve people, ages approximately 25-45, who are committed to ADL’s mission “to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all.”
The Program, affiliated with ADL’s Glass Leadership Institute and supported locally by the generosity of philanthropist Robert B. Sturm, exposes Sturm Fellows to educational programming about the substantive issues of ADL’s agenda and gives them the opportunity to become ADL leaders in the community. A highlight of the year-long program which typically runs from September – June is attendance at ADL’s National Leadership Conference in Washington, DC. Potential Sturm Fellows are asked to submit a formal application. Through this competitive application process, ADL recruits and invests in a diverse group of young people who are committed to civil rights, religious freedom, and anti-bias education.
Note: Though ADL accepts nominations from community members for potential Sturm Fellows, applicants need not be formally nominated to apply.
If accepted to program, Sturm Fellows will be required to sign an Acknowledgment of Expectations, reflecting their commitment to attending:
- A half-day retreat in the fall
- Monthly meetings highlighting an ADL issue and/or program area: Sturm Fellows are advised of all meeting dates if accepted into the program and are permitted to miss no more than one meeting.
- The Shana Amy Glass National Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C., which takes place in either April or May (participants pay their own travel costs and a subsidized registration fee)
Partners will also have the opportunity to participate in/attend:
- All ADL Board of Directors meetings (two at no cost)
- ADL’s Governor’s Holocaust Remembrance Program
- Meetings of ADL’s standing committees
- Civil Rights Awards Reception
- No Place for Hate Celebration Breakfast
While there is no charge for the Robert B. Sturm Mountain States Leadership Fellows Program, all Sturm Fellows are asked to participate in ADL’s annual campaign by making a recommended minimum contribution of $250 per participant.